18th - 22nd October
NEW YORK NEW YORK........
After a quick flight from Washington we arrived in NEW YORK and as expected G was blown away by her first visit to Time square. There were people and lights everywhere (the place was a buzz).
We have not stopped since arriving and have visited all the well known tourist attractions along with a Broadway Show. Although, we did take some time out and visited the 9/11 Garden of Remembrance, a truelly moving experience and quite beautiful. Tomorrow we are heading off to the Statue of Liberty, sadly the statue is closed for internal repairs and will reopen on the 28th October in time for it's 125th anniversary (just our luck!!!!!). The public are still allowed onto the island allowing us the opportunity to get up close and personal with Lady Liberty.
It has been a great trip and we have visited some amazing places, following are a few things that I have noticed about the States (Glenda)
- The people are really polite and courteous towards one another (they look after the elderly!!!!)
- Everyone queues in an orderly manner for everything, no pushing in or you are politely told there is a queue. Yes it happened to us!!!!
- Security is taken extremely seriously we had to run for our Washington Flight after being held up at security (not a pretty sight 2 middle age+
Grandparents running to gate number 42!!!!!)
- You open shop doors outwards
- Light switches are flicked upwards for on
- Most toilets are self flushing, some with such force, you do not want to lean forward at any time whilst seated.
- Hotel mixer taps have a mind of their own (and we are not just talking
about the 3 star hotels)
- Meal portions are usually enough for 2, with free refills of large soda, no wonder most of the population are overweight. New eating habits are
being encouraged with menus having a healthy option alternative
AND finally they drive on the wrong side of the road, very disorientating when you are tired!!!!!!
NOW for RICHARD's RAMBLINGS
-A business you want to be in is American Flag selling.
-A business you don't want to be in is fence building........... No one has
any over here!!!!
A good business to start up ...... A DECENT COFFEE SHOP!!!!!!
-I can't believe the number of takeaway food stores over here .......burgers, Dunkin donuts, burito's, tex mex,j etc etc etc etc. I' m no saint when it comes to eating habits ........... But I have felt like a juice drinking vegan as I have travelled around looking for a GOOD feed.
- Drivers have been quite courteous and understanding. Considering that they wouldn't know I usually drive on the left hand side of the road.
- I never thought I would visit an English speaking country and still be asked to repeat myself as many times as I have, as well as have to ask for others to repeat themselves !!!
- why is it that every time we sat in an New York restaurant, cafe etc I would have George Costanza's mother ( or someone that sounded like her) sitting behind me!!
Well after nearly six weeks, thousands of miles travelled and many new places visited we find ourselves sitting in the Burger King at LA airport.
We have just arrived back in LA from New York and are now waiting for our flight home.
By the time you get to read this we should hopefully be home again.
Thanks for following our experiences and hopefully you can find something to replace this blog when you need something to help you sleep!!
SIGNING OFF............ And see you soon (hopefully)